News from Palmetto Health: SC PricePoint Website Launch
Two Palmetto Health hospitals, Baptist and Richland, are participating in SC PricePoint <http://scpricepoint.org/>, a web-based guide to understanding hospital pricing in our state. Created by the South Carolina Hospital Association <http://www.scha.org/> (SCHA), the new website includes information on different types of services provided by individual hospitals, the number of patients receiving those services and the average charges by each hospital for the services. The goal of the website is to give consumers information to help them make better informed decisions about their own care.
Some things to note:
· Charges vary from hospital to hospital and even from patient to patient.
· The main factor in determining what any patient will pay for care is the type of health insurance coverage held by the patient.
· Individual insurers negotiate discounted rates with individual hospitals, which are not reflected in the average charges reported on SC PricePoint.
· Each patient requires a personal and unique treatment plan to meet his or her needs.
· Insured persons should contact their own health insurance companies for an estimate of what they will pay for hospital services.
· Uninsured patients and self-pay patients should talk with someone in Palmetto Health’s Financial Counseling team for a cost estimate, as well as information on financial assistance that may be available. Financial Counseling appointments can be made by calling CareCall at 803-296-CARE (2273).
Palmetto Health is committed to ensuring patients understand health care pricing information to help them make better informed decisions about their own care. This is why Palmetto Health chose to participate in this website.
March Member Forum features H. Tim Pearce, MD, FACS. Dr. Pearce is President of the SC Medical Association and will provide both a summary of the activities of the SCMA and a discussion of the responsibility of organized medicine. The event will be held on Tuesday, March 24, 2015, at The Palmetto Club from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. To register, click above on Calendar.
Annual White Coat Day is Wednesday, March 25, 2015. Join fellow members at the SC Statehouse for visits with our local legislators. If you can participate please contact the Society office.
Our Corporate Friends
You will find a list of Corporate Friends of the Society and links to their web sites in the "About Us" drop down menu above. We encourage you to support the companies that support Columbia Medical Society.
Useful Links Regarding Public Health including Bioterrorism:
AMA Grassroots Hotline (800) 833-6354
To contact your Senators and Representatives: AMA in Washington website
Contact Us - email@example.com